Thursday, September 29, 2011

Dictionary Page Pumpkin

This is a very simple project made with book pages…I used a dictionary because I had an old one from Salvation Army store for 50 cents.  I also found the paper mache pumpkin there and it set me back a mere $1.  Mod podge and a brush is all you need to make this cute pumpkin. 
100_1936
I used the P pages…you know, P for pumpkins!
100_1937
It’s really very easy, you just wet the paper with Mod Podge, wet the pumpkin and then put the paper on the pumpkin and smooth it out with the brush.  Don’t push too hard or you will be recovering that area!
100_1939
Make sure all the surface of the pumpkin is covered and coat with one or two coats of Mod Podge to seal the pumpkin.
100_1938
I covered the face on mine and just let the paper sort of settle in those areas.  I like how the mouth is minimally defined.
100_1980
I had cut out the words around pumpkin so I could paste it on when I was done with all the layers.  So here it is, right by pump, pumpernickel, and pumpkin seed.
100_1982
So this is a great idea for kids or grown ups as well!  Mine went into my bushel of pumpkins for the MDA family fundraiser!
100_1984
Yup, it’s buried in that basket full of mostly handmade pumpkins!
I am linking to these great parties here!
Ellen

12 comments:

LeeAnn said...

What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing!

A Few Pennies said...

Awesome idea! I'm keeping an eye out for some discount pumpkins and gonna try that. Thanks for inspiring.

Unknown said...

That's really clever! I've seen a lot of book page things around the internet, but what makes yours stand out is that you used something totally appropriate, the "p" section of the dictionary. Great idea! Thanks so much for linking up to One Artsy Mama! :)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi,
Visiting from the Fall Craft Challeng. Very cute! I love that you used the P pages. That makes it a possibly perfect pumpkin! Now a new follower.

Unknown said...

Super Cute! where did you find your pumpkin?

Jill said...

Great idea! And I love your basket of assorted handmade pumpkins! Did you make them all?

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

What a great idea!!

Unknown said...

Love it!
What a great way to use an old dictionary and decorate for the season! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

Abby said...

Love this! Very cute and practical. I love your blog!

Your newest follower,
Abby
i---create
(come take a look if you like)

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

You've combined two of my favorite things: book pages & creative pumpkin ideas. Thanks so much for linking it to my party. It's my pleasure to feature this great project tonight in my Fab Friday Favorites. Please feel free to take an "I Was Featured" button if you'd like. And do come back again!

Warmly, Michelle

Pam Hoffman said...

I'm so impressed with your paper covered pumpkin! Very Earth Friendly.

Would you like to add your link to our Linky Party: Share Your Halloween Tips & Tricks (or Treats!) as well?

While our blog is relatively new, we are getting quite a bit of traffic already and ranking very well for the search engines.

Thank you for your consideration!

Pam Hoffman
http://conservationofeggs.blogspot.com/2011/10/2nd-conservation-linky-share-your.html

Jeff Miller said...

Thank you for joining our link party at http://conservationofeggs.blogspot.com/2011/10/2nd-conservation-linky-share-your.html

Now we know what to do with the old dead tree dictionaries that have been collecting dust since everything went online.

At first, I didn't get that you were using a *paper mache* pumpkin. I was a bit concerned there.

I gives me a bit of ironic thrill to see a paper mache pumpkin covered up and turned into a paper mache pumpkin.